Mi Sound returns for it’s fourth year in 2019. Mi Sound (the ‘Mi’stands for Music Industry) provides the opportunity to perform a live show in an industry environment receiving feedback from industry professionals. Mi Sound is not just for students however and any musician or band is encouraged to enter.
Taking place at the Element Nightclub, 11-13 September, students can perform their 20 minute set as a group or solo, competing for prizes identified around industry outcomes such as artistic award, image/presentation award, engaging set award, audience engagement award and commercial award. There are also recording opportunities made available as prizes.
Mi Sound is a music industry event for performers who are looking to transition from school music to paid work in the industry. It is particularly suitable for students completing their VET in VCE Certificate III in Music Industry (Performance) program but is open to any student who has the skill to perform a 20 minute set. Mi Sound can also be suitable for:
- private music teachers who want to give their groups or soloists an industry experience,
- for VCE Music teachers who want their VCE students to gain more confidence in their performance program,
- students who are not specifically studying senior music but have a band or solo performance playing regular local/school gigs.
Students receive written feedback on their program, a video of their performance and judge’s comments to camera so that they can implement any suggestions that makes sense for them into their program before their performance exam in October.
We also encourage students in the first of their two year VCE or VET in VCE Music Performance programs to be involved as an audience and help with their preparations for their second year program.
- Industry Specialist, Robert B Dillon from RBD Productions will be providing feedback on the 10 criteria; additionally, Dan Hamill (of Dan Hamill Performance Coaching) will be providing reviews of each performance with Robbie.
- The performances and reviews are videoed by Rex Hardware & provided to all performers as a YouTube link in the week following Showbiz Cinemas Mi Sound.
- Selected performers will be offered a free session of coaching with Dan Hamill Performance Coaching, based in Prahran.
- Two recording opportunities – one with Salt Studios using a professional engineer with decades of experience and one with the Year 12/Graduates from the Ballarat Cluster Sound Production course at Mount Clear College.
- To find out more about Mi Sound, please visit https://dmsmit.com/mi-sound/ and fill in the “Expression of Interest” forms. South Street will be in contact with you to help your students register for Mi Sound and explain the documentation that needs to be completed as part of the entry. Groups register for $62.10, while soloists register for $27.10. Or go to the South Street website & register your students through the Stardom portal.