Piano comes from the Italian name Pianoforte which means “piano” soft and “forte” loud.
The Schimmel Pianoforte competition at Royal South Street has launched many young performers careers in the competitions 130th years. The Schimmel Pianoforte competition is open to all ages from under 8 years – 19 years, VCE students and Open Age sections. The Schimmel Pianoforte Competition has many special awards with up to $300 cash prize money on offer.* Competition is open to all pianist, including individuals, schools, specialist music schools and/ or private intuition teachers students.
Frank Robertson-Smith Trust Encouragement Award VCE, Open Age, – $300
Regional Encouragement Award U14, U16, U12- $75
Frank Robertson-Smith Trust Encouragement Award U16 – $150
Frank Robertson-Smith Trust Encouragement Award U14, U12 – $100
*** individual prize money and medals is awarded to section winners, please see 2021 schedule for further details (available in March 2021).
1. In all sections, competitors must provide music for the adjudicator.
2. COPYRIGHT: Use of printed, photocopied, recorded, adapted or reproduced material is guided by Copyright law. In order to compete at the Royal South Street competitors must declare that all necessary licences for copyright have been obtained and only originals or licensed copies will be used in accordance with copyright laws and agreements. These terms & conditions are agreed upon when placing your entry.
3. RSSS holds an APRA and PPCA licence.
4. VCE competitors may repeat items once only in 19 Years and Under, and Open Age.
5. Time Limits: Competitors need to be aware of and comply with time limits. Performance will be adjudicated to the maximum time limit only.
6. Dress Code: Each performance is considered a concert; therefore appropriate concert dress is expected. School uniform is acceptable.
7. Royal South Street Novice Sections are for students who have not won 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in solo piano sections at any Eisteddfod at the time of entry.
8. Definitions of Popular Music: Themes from TV, film, radio, jazz blues, boogie & ragtime, rock and pop are permitted. Does NOT include traditional classical music.
9. Age limit will be deemed as at 1 January of the current year.